Academic & Professional History & Qualifications
Elizabeth College - 1979 - 1986
12 O Levels, 3 A Levels
BSc, Environmental Sciences, UEA Norwich 1987-90
PGDL, Law, Nottingham Trent University 1999
General Council of the Bar Examinations 1999
Called to the Bar at Grays Inn, 2000
Guernsey Bar examinations 2000
Caen University 2001
Called to the Guernsey Bar 2001
Accredited commercial mediator (ADR Group) 2003
Faculty of Notaries 2006
- Ernst & Young 1990/1
- States of Guernsey 1991-1996
- (States Water Board - Water Quality Officer and Sea Fisheries Committee, Deputy Sea Fisheries Officer)
- Babbe Le Pelley Tostevin 1996 -2006 (partner 2003)
- Bedell Cristin 2006-16 (Managing Partner)
- Bedell Cristin ("Of Counsel") 2016 - present
- Director of several insurers, reinsurers and investment funds
- Have acted either as Chairman, CEO or director of several regulated fiduciary, insurance and fund administration businesses and holding groups operating in and across Guernsey, Jersey, UK, BVI, Mauritius, Cayman, Bermuda, Dubai, Singapore and Switzerland as well as forming part of the small strategic management team of a large offshore cross-border law firm and financial services administration business with over 600 staff.
Appointments & Notable Professional Achievements
- Chairman of Culture Guernsey and founder member of the Guernsey Arts Commission LBG.
- Conducted one of the first Guernsey company director disqualifications on behalf of the Advisory & Finance Committee.
- Adviser to the GFA on conversion to a limited by guarantee company.
- Voting non-states member of the Public Accounts Committee 2008-2012.
- Committee Member of "Ageing Well in the Bailiwick".
- Adviser to and director of the world's first private CAT bond (Solidum Re).
- Adviser to the worlds first Sharia compliant takaful securitisation (SALAM III / FWU Group) 2013.
- Winner of European Deal of the Year (Islamic Finance Magazine, 2013).
- Trading Risk "Investor of the year" 2015 - Secquaero Re ICC (Director).
- UK Law firm of the year - 2015 and 2016, Captive Magazine Awards.
- First listed blockchain transaction (Solidum Re) 2017, director and adviser.
- Drafted original Special Purpose Insurer Rules and guidance on behalf of the Guernsey Insurance Management Association, issued by the GFSC.
- Adviser to several foreign governments and regulatory authorities over many years in relation to the use and regulation of protected cell and incorporated cell companies, including the drafting of legislation and regulations.
- Expert witness in New York arbitration (reinsurance dispute) 2020.
- Deputy, now Chair of the Guernsey Citizens Advice Bureau.
- I have experience across a broad range of legal disciplines, from preparing the prosecution of pollution offences in the 1990s to insolvency litigation (for example the $21.7 bn Carlyle Capital Corporation insolvency) to buying and selling regulated and unregulated businesses and representing some of the same French fishermen I was once tasked with catching and arresting at sea in the 1990s.
- My commercial and corporate finance experience is substantial and broad and I have acted for every type of business from a local chip shop, to the management team of Condor Ferries (3 sale transactions), to refinancing of the Channel Tunnel. There are no other Advocates at the Guernsey Bar who have worked in the civil service, drafted legislation, assisted with prosecution and policy development and enforcement and then gone on to form and manage a successful private practice.
- I have acted and continue to act as a director and/or secretary for some of Guernsey's largest financial services, tech and transport businesses.
© COPYRIGHT 2020 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.